Alcohol Poisoning

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Excessive drinking can be hazardous to your health. Alcohol poisoning can result in a coma and even death. Dr. Edward Hill discusses alcohol poisoning in todays 60 Second Housecall.

Dr. Hill:

Alcohol poisoning is a serious and sometimes deadly consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time.

Unlike food, which can take hours to digest, alcohol is absorbed quickly by your body long before most other nutrients. But, it takes a lot more time for your body to get rid of the alcohol youve consumed. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing and heart rate.

Alcohol poisoning symptoms include:

Confusion, stupor

Vomiting

Seizures

Slow or irregular breathing

Blue-tinged or pale skin, or

Low body temperature

Alcohol poisoning treatment usually involves supportive care while your body rids itself of the alcohol.

Severe alcohol poisoning can be fatal. People who survive may have irreversible brain damage.

A person with alcohol poisoning needs immediate medical attention. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning even if you dont see the classic signs and symptoms call for emergency medical help right away.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.