Alcohol Poisoning

Friday, September 19, 2014

When a person has alcohol poisoning they have consumed a toxic amount of alcohol, usually over a short period. This can be a deadly situation. Dr. Edward Hill tells us more about alcohol poisoning in todays 60 Second Housecall.

Dr. Hill:

Alcohol poisoning is a serious and sometimes deadly consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death.

Alcohol poisoning can also occur when adults or children accidentally or intentionally drink household products that contain alcohol.

Alcohol poisoning signs and symptoms include:

Confusion

Vomiting

Seizures

Slow or irregular breathing, and

Low body temperature

Its not necessary to have all these signs and symptoms before you seek help. A person who is unconscious or cant be awakened is at risk of dying.

It can be difficult to decide if you think someone is drunk enough to warrant medical intervention, but its best to err on the side of caution. You may worry about the consequences for yourself or your friend or loved one, particularly if youre underage. But the consequences of not getting the right help in time can be far more serious.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.