Contact DermatitisTuesday, December 14, 2010
Contact dermatitis is a term for a skin reaction resulting from exposure to allergens or irritants. Dr. Edward Hill tells us more about this irritating skin condition in todays 60 Second Housecall.
Contact dermatitis is when your skin has a reaction to something you touch. The skin may get itchy, red and swollen. You may also get blisters or bumps.
Contact dermatitis can be caused by irritants, like soap, perfume, lotion, latex and makeup. It can also be caused by an allergen. The most common allergens that cause contact dermatitis are a chemical in poison ivy and oak, nickel and fragrances. Touching certain foods may also cause it.
The reaction varies depending on the part of the body that is affected. It may be worse on the eyelids, genitals and neck.
Avoid whatever causes the reaction. If you know that you are allergic to something, like poison ivy, wash your skin with soap and water quickly after you touch it. Cool compresses may soothe your skin. Your doctor may also suggest medicine that you can put on your skin or in your bath water. You may need oral medicine for a bad reaction.
For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.