Mold

Friday, May 05, 2017

There may be a dangerous substance lurking in your home that is causing serious health problems. Dr. Edward Hill discusses the dangers of household mold in todays 60 Second Housecall.

Dr. Hill:

Molds, or mildew, are forms of fungi found year round indoors and outdoors. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores. The spores are invisible to the naked eye.

There are thousands of species of mold and they can be any color. In many cases, mold can be detected by a musty odor. Most fungi, including molds, produce microscopic cells called spores that spread easily through the air.

People who are sensitive to mold may experience stuffy nose, irritated eyes, wheezing, skin rash or difficulty breathing. Young children, the elderly and anyone with an impaired immune system may be more susceptible to mold allergies.

You may recognize mold in your home by discoloration of the walls or ceiling, and a musty smell.

If there is mold growth in your home, you should clean up the mold and fix any leaks in roofs, walls or plumbing. Controlling moisture in your home is the most critical factor for preventing mold growth.

If you are having these allergy symptoms, check your home for mold.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.