Poison Prevention 1

Monday, July 02, 2012

Children will swallow just about anything, including poisons. In todays 60 Second Housecall, Dr. Edward Hill tells us that when in doubt, we should assume the worst and get immediate help.

Dr. Hill:

All poison exposures, whether by oral ingestion, inhalation or contact with the skin are serious. Some can even result in death.

Poisoning can result in the following symptomsheadache, weakness, dizziness, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, loss of weight, thirst, moodiness, joint pain, skin irritation or eye irritation.

If poison is swallowed, do not give anything by mouth until calling for advice. If chemical or household products are ingested, give milk or water immediately.

Call for professional advice about whether or not to make the person vomit. Inhaled poisons are very serious because of the damage that can be done to the lungs and other tissues of the body. Immediately get the person to fresh air. If the victim is not breathing, start rescue breathing and continue it until the victim is breathing or help arrives.

If you suspect a friend or loved one has been exposed to poison, call 911, your local poison control center or the National Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.