Thursday, October 20, 2011

Shock is a life-threatening condition that occurs when the body is not getting enough blood flow. Shock requires immediate medical treatment and can get worse very rapidly. Dr. Edward Hill describes what you can do to help someone suffering from shock in todays 60 Second Housecall.

Dr. Hill:

Shock may develop as the result of sudden illness or injury. When the circulatory system is unable to get enough blood to the vital organs, the body goes into shock. Signs of shock include:

Cool, pale, clammy skin.

Weak, rapid pulse.

Shallow, rapid breathing.

Low blood pressure.

Thirst, nausea or vomiting.

Confusion or anxiety, and

Faintness, weakness, dizziness or loss of consciousness.

Prompt home treatment can save the life of a person who is in shock. After calling 911 or other emergency services, have the person lie down and elevate their legs. If there is an injury to the head, neck or chest, keep the legs flat. If the person vomits, roll him to one side. Use care if there could be a spinal injury.

Shock is a life-threatening condition. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 and begin home treatment immediately.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.