Monday, September 26, 2016

Shock is a life-threatening condition that occurs when the body is not getting enough blood flow. Dr. Edward Hill describes what you can do to help someone suffering from shock in todays 60 Second Housecall.

Dr. Hill:

Shock may develop as the result of sudden illness or injury. When the circulatory system is unable to get enough blood to the vital organs, the body goes into shock. Many organs can be damaged as a result.

Signs of shock include:

Cool, pale, clammy skin.

Weak, rapid pulse.

Shallow, rapid breathing.

Low blood pressure.

Thirst, nausea or vomiting.

Confusion or anxiety, and

Faintness, weakness, dizziness or loss of consciousness.

Prompt home treatment can save the life of a person who is in shock. After calling 911 or other emergency services, try the following:

Have the person lie down and elevate their legs. If there is an injury to the head, neck or chest, keep the legs flat. If the person vomits, roll the person to one side.

Shock is a life-threatening condition. As many as one in five people who suffer shock will die from it. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 and begin home treatment immediately.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.