Swallowed Objects

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Children often swallow small objects such as coins, toys or jewelry. In todays 60 Second Housecall, Dr. Edward Hill discusses the dangers of children swallowing objects and what to do about it.

Dr. Hill:

Children can swallow small objects in an instant. Usually, the object will pass through the gut without causing any problems. Sometimes things get stuck and cause serious problems.

Take your child to the doctor right away if you think he or she swallowed a battery or something sharp. If you think your child might have swallowed something metal, like a coin, its probably best to see your doctor. If you think your child swallowed something small that isnt sharp, like a plastic bead, you do not need to take him or her to the doctor right away.

Call your doctor if your child starts to have any of the following symptoms: vomiting, gagging, drooling, not eating, stomach pain, coughing or wheezing.

Keep small objects, especially sharp objects and batteries, out of your childs reach. Do not let your child play with toys that have small parts that might come off and be swallowed. Make sure that older children keep their small toys away from your child.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.