Toxic Shock Syndrome

Thursday, February 05, 2015

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare condition but it can produce life-threatening complications and requires immediate treatment. In todays 60 Second Housecall, Dr. Edward Hill takes a closer look at toxic shock syndrome.

Dr. Hill:

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare but serious illness caused by poisons that can be produced by certain streptococcal or staphylococcal bacteria.

Symptoms of toxic shock syndrome usually come on very suddenly and can rapidly affect several different organ systems, including the lungs, kidneys and liver. Because the illness can be life-threatening, immediate medical treatment is required.

Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome may occur after childbirth, the flu, chickenpox, surgery, minor skin cuts or after injuries that cause bruising.

There are two forms of staphylococcal toxic shock syndromemenstrual and non-menstrual. Menstrual toxic shock syndrome has been linked to women using tampons.

The symptoms of toxic shock syndrome include a sudden fever, shock with low blood pressure and organ profusion, and a sunburn-like rash. Treatment involves hospitalization, removing the source of infection, treating with antibiotics to kill the bacteria and treating any complications.

The sooner people with toxic shock syndrome seek treatment, the better their chances of survival.

For North Mississippi Medical Center, Im Dr. Edward Hill.